New Jersey News
Vehicle stolen in Newark with child inside
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- Newark Police are searching for the suspect who stole a car with a little girl inside.
The girl's mother parked the car outside an auto repair shop at 531 Central Avenue in Newark.
"She said, 'Did you see a black car? My baby, my baby,' then she fell in my arms," a witness said.
Witnesses say it was emotional torture for the mother, not knowing if she would see her child again.
"She was crying, she broke out in tears," said John Scott, a witness.
John Scott says the mom is one of his customers at Belmont Motor works on Central Avenue.
She stopped in around 7 p.m. Wednesday night.
A witness who did not want to be identified said the mother left her black Nissan Altima running with her 5-year-old daughter sleeping in the back seat.
"That's crazy how a person can just jump in a car and pull it back and drive off. But he had a conscience though. He could have put that little girl on the sidewalk and kept on going but he didn't, he left everything. Just thank God everybody is OK," the witness said.
This is the second time in a week a car was stolen in Newark with a child inside.
Last Thursday, an SUV was stolen with two children in the vehicle.
It was found about 30 minutes later with the kids safe and sound.
These incidents serve as a reminder that it only takes seconds for something like this to happen.
The suspect in Wednesday night's incident remains on the loose.
The mother and daughter were not hurt.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, carjacking, new jersey news, carolina leid
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 18 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 2 min ago
- Malaysian plane mystery continues 1 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store 18 min ago
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
18 min ago