New Jersey News
2 turtle hunters pulled from Passaic River
BERKELEY HEIGHTS -- Two turtle hunters were hospitalized after they fell through the ice in a secluded area of the Passaic River.
Authorities say a 30-year-old woman called 911 around 8:15 p.m. Saturday to report her 37-year-old boyfriend was in the water. The woman then apparently tried to help him and ended up in the water herself.
Rescue crews soon arrived and had to paddle against the current and cut down trees with chainsaws to reach the couple, who were holding on to a tree. Both victims were suffering from extreme hypothermia when they were pulled from the water around 9:15 p.m., but they were treated at a hospital and released on Sunday.
Four firefighters were treated at the scene for minor injuries.
Authorities didn't know why the pair were looking for turtles.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, berkeley heights, passaic river, ice, new jersey news
- Cuomo to announce deal between MTA and Union 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions 47 min ago
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014