New Jersey News
2 turtle hunters pulled from Passaic River
BERKELEY HEIGHTS -- Two turtle hunters were hospitalized after they fell through the ice in a secluded area of the Passaic River.
Authorities say a 30-year-old woman called 911 around 8:15 p.m. Saturday to report her 37-year-old boyfriend was in the water. The woman then apparently tried to help him and ended up in the water herself.
Rescue crews soon arrived and had to paddle against the current and cut down trees with chainsaws to reach the couple, who were holding on to a tree. Both victims were suffering from extreme hypothermia when they were pulled from the water around 9:15 p.m., but they were treated at a hospital and released on Sunday.
Four firefighters were treated at the scene for minor injuries.
Authorities didn't know why the pair were looking for turtles.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, berkeley heights, passaic river, ice, new jersey news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause 6 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday 39 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mayor names Kathryn Garcia new head of sanitation
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn
- Man, 65, shot to death on street in Clinton Hill
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK 43 min ago
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled 1 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system...
1 min ago
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for...
6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
39 min ago