New Jersey News
2 turtle hunters pulled from Passaic River
BERKELEY HEIGHTS -- Two turtle hunters were hospitalized after they fell through the ice in a secluded area of the Passaic River.
Authorities say a 30-year-old woman called 911 around 8:15 p.m. Saturday to report her 37-year-old boyfriend was in the water. The woman then apparently tried to help him and ended up in the water herself.
Rescue crews soon arrived and had to paddle against the current and cut down trees with chainsaws to reach the couple, who were holding on to a tree. Both victims were suffering from extreme hypothermia when they were pulled from the water around 9:15 p.m., but they were treated at a hospital and released on Sunday.
Four firefighters were treated at the scene for minor injuries.
Authorities didn't know why the pair were looking for turtles.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, berkeley heights, passaic river, ice, new jersey news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn 8 min ago
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust 28 min ago
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97