New Jersey News
Surveillance released in robbery of jewelry store
MONTVALE, N.J. (WABC) -- There is surveillance of suspect who may have made off with a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of jewelry.
He cut the alarm but not the video.
It happened in Montvale, New Jersey.
"Everything was out of the diamond case," said Stephen Burton, the owner.
By the time the owner got there, Montvale Jewelers was trashed.
Much of the less expensive merchandise was scattered about, but the good stuff, the expensive, high end jewelry was all gone, and with it, an entire career.
"Out of business, I can't survive it, and I'll probably be in many, many lawsuits with people. I hope that I can make things right, but I don't know how much I can make right it's several hundred thousand dollars that's missing," Burton said.
Wearing a mask, police say, the thief broke in Sunday night and immediately disabled the security system.
The camera, caught only a brief glimpse of him, before it was ripped from the wall.
He then took the most expensive merchandise, including hundreds of thousands of dollars worth that did not belong to Burton, some was there to be repaired or appraised, and some on loan from manufacturers.
Surprisingly, Burton says he has no insurance, he says he couldn't afford it.
But the owners who trusted him, want their jewelry back.
"It's my whole lifetime, I've been in this business my whole life and I can't do it anymore, and I still have to face the music of a lot of people," Burton said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, robbery, new jersey news, jim dolan
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos