New Jersey News
Gruesome double murder, men decapitated
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- There's a gruesome double murder mystery in New Jersey.
Police say who did it's not a mystery because someone is under arrest but the mystery is why the accused killer cut of two men's heads and hands.
The victims are reportedly from Jersey City, but their remains were found buried in a town southwest of Philadelphia.
On the streets of Jersey City along Bergen Avenue, to the naked eye it's not obvious.
But to members of the close knit Coptic Orthodox church the pain is real.
"It's a shock, something like this doesn't happen to people like that," a resident said.
Now they know two members of the church have been brutally murdered.
But no one in this community seems to know why.
"It was crazy what happened to these two. Do they deserve it? No. Was it expected? Never. And it's just sad," a resident said.
The two victims were found buried in a back yard in Buena Vista, New Jersey last Thursday.
Monday, police announced an arrest.
28-year-old Yusuf Ibrahim is in custody.
Investigators say Ibrahim shot and killed the victims, severed their heads and hands, and buried the remains at a Buena Vista house.
Back in Jersey City, friends of the victims are praying that police will have the answers to the questions that now haunt them.
Privately some wonder if it had something to do with the victims' religion.
"I leave it for the police and the investigation," said Samy Hohareb, the victim's friend.
So far, police have not revealed a motive for the grisly murders as the suspect sits behind bars, waiting for his day in court.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, jersey city, murder, new jersey news, jeff pegues
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 48 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after Metro-North derailment
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area 59 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos