New Jersey News
3 arrested in Newark beating posted on YouTube
NEWARK (WABC) -- Newark Mayor Cory Booker called this vicious beating a "human tragedy" and while Newark police made three arrests, the mayor said it was "unacceptable behavior."
"We do not tolerate this viciousness. We do not tolerate this kind of evil in our community," Booker said.
That evil that Booker refers to spilled out for all to witness in a vicious beating of a young man stripped of his clothes and whipped with a belt. All of it was recorded and put out on the internet, leading to a call to Newark police, and now the arrest of these three men and the discovery of a reluctant victim.
"He didn't report this when it took place, like the mayor indicated, and that was out of fear of the individuals that did this to him," Newark police director Samuel DeMaio said.
Police arrested 22 year old Ahmad Holt, 23 year old Jamaar Gray and 31-year old Raheem Clark. All three are charged with aggravated assault, robbery and possession of a weapon . The belt was used to whip the victim.
In much of the video, which was too graphic to show, police say Holt is the man who was behind the vicious beating, wildly swinging away at the victim. Gray allegedly took the video. Investigators believe Clark supplied the belt that was used in what is described as a dispute over a measly $20.
People to whom I showed the video cannot believe it, but Mayor Booker, flanked by troubled police and city council members revealed, that in the alleyway sometime last summer, others witnessed the beating and humiliation.
"Who witnessed this type of vicious brutality and said nothing?" Booker wondered.
While the suspects allegedly stole money from the victim to settle a debt, Mayor Booker says the motive runs much deeper.
"The motivation was intimidation, brutality and cruelty," he said.
Authorities say the determined the crime took place in Newark because of all the comments posted on the video, and the subsequent investigation led to the arrests.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, crime, beating death, new jersey news, tim fleischer
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause 55 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks 17 min ago
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for...
55 min ago