New Jersey News
3 dead in New Jersey house fire
ORANGE (WABC) -- Three men are dead after a house fire early Sunday morning in Orange, New Jersey.
Fire investigators spent the morning combing through the burned-out shell of 374 Reock Street. The three-story home, now sitting empty with no heat or water, was where 4 men took refuge overnight with disastrous results. The broke out shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday, and an alert female Orange police officer jumped into action.
The firefighters were unable to save the three men, who were trapped inside the house.
Police say that the men were apparently squatters.
They died of burns and smoke inhalation.
The fire was reported by Orange police officer Ada Vasquez, who was on routine patrol in the area when she smelled smoke.
Vasquez and fellow officer Anthony Holmes broke down the front door and rescued one man. But the fire's intense flames and heat prevented them from rescuing the others.
It's believed that a heating device ignited the fire.
The names of the victims have not yet been released.
CLICK HERE TO SEE PHOTOS FROM SCENE ---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, orange, fire death, new jersey news, lisa colagrossi
- 3 critical after fire tears through Brooklyn home 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt 55 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique 44 min ago
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated 49 min ago
- MTA launches new apps for LIRR, Metro-North riders 38 min ago
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn 57 min ago
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident