New Jersey News
3 dead in New Jersey house fire
ORANGE (WABC) -- Three men are dead after a house fire early Sunday morning in Orange, New Jersey.
Fire investigators spent the morning combing through the burned-out shell of 374 Reock Street. The three-story home, now sitting empty with no heat or water, was where 4 men took refuge overnight with disastrous results. The broke out shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday, and an alert female Orange police officer jumped into action.
The firefighters were unable to save the three men, who were trapped inside the house.
Police say that the men were apparently squatters.
They died of burns and smoke inhalation.
The fire was reported by Orange police officer Ada Vasquez, who was on routine patrol in the area when she smelled smoke.
Vasquez and fellow officer Anthony Holmes broke down the front door and rescued one man. But the fire's intense flames and heat prevented them from rescuing the others.
It's believed that a heating device ignited the fire.
The names of the victims have not yet been released.
CLICK HERE TO SEE PHOTOS FROM SCENE ---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, orange, fire death, new jersey news, lisa colagrossi
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 29 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
29 min ago