New Jersey News
Father, son dead; daughter critical in Flanders fire
FLANDERS (WABC) -- Two family members were killed and a third hospitalized in critical conditions after flames ripped through a home in New Jersey early Monday.
The fire broke out at an apartment on Main Street in Flanders just after 4 a.m. One neighbor says it's a divided house where a number of children live.
Officials say 52-year-old Hesham Moustafa and his 7-year-old son were both killed. A 9-year-old girl believed to be the Moustafa's daughter is in critical condition.
Other residents, including the mother and an older sister, escaped the house.
The investigating is indicating there was no power to the building, and the family was using space heaters.
Officials determined that the cause of the fire was altered wiring on a space heater.
Firefighters had to battle the cold and wind in addition to the flames.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fire, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act