New Jersey News
Father, son dead; daughter critical in Flanders fire
FLANDERS (WABC) -- Two family members were killed and a third hospitalized in critical conditions after flames ripped through a home in New Jersey early Monday.
The fire broke out at an apartment on Main Street in Flanders just after 4 a.m. One neighbor says it's a divided house where a number of children live.
Officials say 52-year-old Hesham Moustafa and his 7-year-old son were both killed. A 9-year-old girl believed to be the Moustafa's daughter is in critical condition.
Other residents, including the mother and an older sister, escaped the house.
The investigating is indicating there was no power to the building, and the family was using space heaters.
Officials determined that the cause of the fire was altered wiring on a space heater.
Firefighters had to battle the cold and wind in addition to the flames.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fire, new jersey news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen