New Jersey News
Top 10 NJ beaches competition put on hold
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- A popular contest to name New Jersey's best beach is taking a timeout this summer.
The top 10 beaches contest will not have voting this year that pits one town against another for bragging rights.
Rather, the New Jersey Sea Grant Consortium says the program will focus on cooperation among regional tourism leaders as the shore recovers from Superstorm Sandy.
The contest began in 2008 as a way to generate pride in and stewardship of New Jersey's beaches. People voted online for their favorite shore spot, and the results were unveiled at a pre-Memorial Day news conference.
This year's voting will involve a calendar photo contest. People will be encouraged to share their favorite shore memories at www.toptenbeaches.org starting Wednesday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, jersey shore, best beaches, new jersey news
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Where is Charles Butler?
- Investigation follows police shooting of student
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Rally held after West Village hate crime murder
- Worker injured after forklift swallowed by sinkhole
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Photos: Lee Goldberg explains Oklahoma's tornado...
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos