New Jersey News
Top 10 NJ beaches competition put on hold
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- A popular contest to name New Jersey's best beach is taking a timeout this summer.
The top 10 beaches contest will not have voting this year that pits one town against another for bragging rights.
Rather, the New Jersey Sea Grant Consortium says the program will focus on cooperation among regional tourism leaders as the shore recovers from Superstorm Sandy.
The contest began in 2008 as a way to generate pride in and stewardship of New Jersey's beaches. People voted online for their favorite shore spot, and the results were unveiled at a pre-Memorial Day news conference.
This year's voting will involve a calendar photo contest. People will be encouraged to share their favorite shore memories at www.toptenbeaches.org starting Wednesday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, jersey shore, best beaches, new jersey news
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- VIDEO: Obama remembers Mandela
- L train signal problems in Brooklyn
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Knicks crush Nets 113-83
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos