New Jersey News
Family of murder victims to open safe house
ENGLEWOOD, N.J. (WABC) -- A mother from New Jersey is trying to turn her unbearable pain into something to help others.
The mother spoke about the brutal murders of her daughter and granddaughter.
Police say her daughter's boyfriend did it.
Now, they are campaigning to build a domestic violence safe house.
"I don't have words. I don't have tears anymore to share for my daughter and my granddaughter. It hurts too much," said Rosena Pitts, the victim's mother.
It's incredibly hard for Rosena Pitts to talk about the murder of her daughter Tam Marie Pitts Gaddy and her 5-year-old granddaughter Natasia.
But it's something her family feels they have to do in a way of honoring their memories.
"They were two precious jewels to the family. The link has been broken. The family is devastated and traumatized," said Pastor Angel Frazier Tanner, the victim's sister.
Bergen County prosecutors say the 41-year-old mother was stabbed to death by her boyfriend, 34-year-old Michael Brady during an argument.
He then allegedly smothered her daughter with a plastic bag after the 5-year-old witnessed her mother's death inside their Englewood, New Jersey apartment.
"There was always something uncomfortable about him when I looked into his eyes. I told my daughter there's something frightening in his eyes. She said, 'Mom you just need to get to know him,'" Pitts said.
The family is talking exclusively to Eyewitness News about their pain because they're starting a foundation to raise money to build a domestic violence safe house.
"Reach out to someone. Call for help. Do what you need to do for your safety. Police a foundation anybody. We're here too," said Keith Pitts, the victim's brother.
Helping others is one of many ways they're remembering a mom who helped the homeless and a little girl who loved dressing up like a princess.
"It's hard they'll be missed. It a part of our family link that is no longer here. We know with prayer we'll get through," said Belinda Merritt, the victim's sister.
Brady remains in jail.
Bail was set at $2 million.
He pleaded not guilty to charges of murder, hindering apprehension and weapons offenses.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, englewood, domestic violence, murder, new jersey news, carolina leid
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 34 min ago
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 54 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn 37 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday 15 min ago
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- Photos: Scared Santa
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in...
37 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos