New Jersey News
Teacher accused of soliciting sex appears in court
PATERSON (WABC) -- A new jersey teacher, charged with offering money to a student in return for sex, appeared in court on Wednesday.
The case is being referred to the grand jury to determine whether to proceed.
In the meantime Thomas Weir remains in jail on $500,000 bail
The 50 year-old teacher at JFK High School in Patterson made his first appearance in Passaic County court, on charges of offering money to a teenage boy for sex.
He entered a not guilty plea.
Weir was picked up Saturday in the parking lot of the Burger King where he was expecting to meet the boy instead police were there.
The high school student and the teacher allegedly had an exchange on Facebook that made the boy uncomfortable.
Weir has been an accounting teacher at JFK high school for the past year, but has been teaching in various Patterson schools for the past 21 years.
In 2004 he was charged with criminally sexual contact with a male student at Passaic Community College, he was ultimately acquitted but officials say this investigation is far from over.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, paterson, teacher arrested, new jersey news
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel 37 min ago
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- Plane emergency reported at Philly airport
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- NY state Senate to call for $540 million for universal pre-K 15 min ago
- Malaysian Airlines search expands toward Indian Ocean
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane