New Jersey News
Teacher accused of soliciting sex appears in court
PATERSON (WABC) -- A new jersey teacher, charged with offering money to a student in return for sex, appeared in court on Wednesday.
The case is being referred to the grand jury to determine whether to proceed.
In the meantime Thomas Weir remains in jail on $500,000 bail
The 50 year-old teacher at JFK High School in Patterson made his first appearance in Passaic County court, on charges of offering money to a teenage boy for sex.
He entered a not guilty plea.
Weir was picked up Saturday in the parking lot of the Burger King where he was expecting to meet the boy instead police were there.
The high school student and the teacher allegedly had an exchange on Facebook that made the boy uncomfortable.
Weir has been an accounting teacher at JFK high school for the past year, but has been teaching in various Patterson schools for the past 21 years.
In 2004 he was charged with criminally sexual contact with a male student at Passaic Community College, he was ultimately acquitted but officials say this investigation is far from over.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, paterson, teacher arrested, new jersey news
- Winter Weather Advisory 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City 47 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream 35 min ago
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
47 min ago
- Winter Weather Advisory
30 min ago