New Jersey News
Teacher accused of soliciting sex appears in court
PATERSON (WABC) -- A new jersey teacher, charged with offering money to a student in return for sex, appeared in court on Wednesday.
The case is being referred to the grand jury to determine whether to proceed.
In the meantime Thomas Weir remains in jail on $500,000 bail
The 50 year-old teacher at JFK High School in Patterson made his first appearance in Passaic County court, on charges of offering money to a teenage boy for sex.
He entered a not guilty plea.
Weir was picked up Saturday in the parking lot of the Burger King where he was expecting to meet the boy instead police were there.
The high school student and the teacher allegedly had an exchange on Facebook that made the boy uncomfortable.
Weir has been an accounting teacher at JFK high school for the past year, but has been teaching in various Patterson schools for the past 21 years.
In 2004 he was charged with criminally sexual contact with a male student at Passaic Community College, he was ultimately acquitted but officials say this investigation is far from over.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, paterson, teacher arrested, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 53 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 24 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate 37 min ago
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong 34 min ago
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
53 min ago