New Jersey News
Teacher accused of soliciting sex appears in court
PATERSON (WABC) -- A new jersey teacher, charged with offering money to a student in return for sex, appeared in court on Wednesday.
The case is being referred to the grand jury to determine whether to proceed.
In the meantime Thomas Weir remains in jail on $500,000 bail
The 50 year-old teacher at JFK High School in Patterson made his first appearance in Passaic County court, on charges of offering money to a teenage boy for sex.
He entered a not guilty plea.
Weir was picked up Saturday in the parking lot of the Burger King where he was expecting to meet the boy instead police were there.
The high school student and the teacher allegedly had an exchange on Facebook that made the boy uncomfortable.
Weir has been an accounting teacher at JFK high school for the past year, but has been teaching in various Patterson schools for the past 21 years.
In 2004 he was charged with criminally sexual contact with a male student at Passaic Community College, he was ultimately acquitted but officials say this investigation is far from over.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, paterson, teacher arrested, new jersey news
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 14 min ago
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral arrangements announced
- Photos: Scared Santa
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos