New Jersey News
Man charged in shooting of Essex County officer
NEWARK (WABC) -- A New Jersey man has been charged with attempted murder after police say he shot an off-duty sheriff's officer at a Newark bar.
Prosecutors in Essex County say 30-year-old Rasul Burt of East Orange faces attempted murder, aggravated assault and weapons charges.
It is not clear if he has a lawyer.
Police say the unnamed 25-year-old officer was leaving the Mercedes and Mink bar in Newark around 2 .a.m. Wednesday when he got into a verbal altercation with two other men.
Authorities say one of the men pulled a gun, and the sheriff's officer fired on him with his own weapon. The officer and two other men were shot.
The officer was treated and released from the hospital.
Burt remains hospitalized and his bail has been set at $250,000.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, police officer shot, shooting, new jersey news
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Man hacked to death in apparent terror attack
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- Operation Swill: cheap booze in premium liquor bottles
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Oklahoma tornado damage toll mounting
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale
- abcnews: Man Shot by FBI Was About to Sign Murder...
- OTRC: 'Man of Steel' trailer, with General Zod
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos