New Jersey News
Man charged in shooting of Essex County officer
NEWARK (WABC) -- A New Jersey man has been charged with attempted murder after police say he shot an off-duty sheriff's officer at a Newark bar.
Prosecutors in Essex County say 30-year-old Rasul Burt of East Orange faces attempted murder, aggravated assault and weapons charges.
It is not clear if he has a lawyer.
Police say the unnamed 25-year-old officer was leaving the Mercedes and Mink bar in Newark around 2 .a.m. Wednesday when he got into a verbal altercation with two other men.
Authorities say one of the men pulled a gun, and the sheriff's officer fired on him with his own weapon. The officer and two other men were shot.
The officer was treated and released from the hospital.
Burt remains hospitalized and his bail has been set at $250,000.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, police officer shot, shooting, new jersey news
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 51 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Good Samaritans rescue woman from burning car
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
47 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos