New Jersey News
Man charged in shooting of Essex County officer
NEWARK (WABC) -- A New Jersey man has been charged with attempted murder after police say he shot an off-duty sheriff's officer at a Newark bar.
Prosecutors in Essex County say 30-year-old Rasul Burt of East Orange faces attempted murder, aggravated assault and weapons charges.
It is not clear if he has a lawyer.
Police say the unnamed 25-year-old officer was leaving the Mercedes and Mink bar in Newark around 2 .a.m. Wednesday when he got into a verbal altercation with two other men.
Authorities say one of the men pulled a gun, and the sheriff's officer fired on him with his own weapon. The officer and two other men were shot.
The officer was treated and released from the hospital.
Burt remains hospitalized and his bail has been set at $250,000.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, police officer shot, shooting, new jersey news
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Teen questioned in Queens bus shooting released
- Amanda Bynes speaks out about arrest
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore 21 min ago
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced 27 min ago
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: Boston Marathon Last Mile