New Jersey News
Man charged in shooting of Essex County officer
NEWARK (WABC) -- A New Jersey man has been charged with attempted murder after police say he shot an off-duty sheriff's officer at a Newark bar.
Prosecutors in Essex County say 30-year-old Rasul Burt of East Orange faces attempted murder, aggravated assault and weapons charges.
It is not clear if he has a lawyer.
Police say the unnamed 25-year-old officer was leaving the Mercedes and Mink bar in Newark around 2 .a.m. Wednesday when he got into a verbal altercation with two other men.
Authorities say one of the men pulled a gun, and the sheriff's officer fired on him with his own weapon. The officer and two other men were shot.
The officer was treated and released from the hospital.
Burt remains hospitalized and his bail has been set at $250,000.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, police officer shot, shooting, new jersey news
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 7 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 51 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly...
3 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
51 min ago