New Jersey News
Police: New Jersey man poses as cop, sexually assaults woman
FAIRFIELD (WABC) -- A New Jersey man is in police custody, accused of sexually assaulting a woman while impersonating a cop.
The incident happened Tuesday at a LaQuinta Hotel in Fairfield.
Police say 40-year-old Joseph Lipham told the woman he was an officer and would arrest her if she didn't have sex with him.
A friend of the victim was able to get Lipham's license plate number as he left the hotel, leading to his arrest.
"The diligence and prompt attention of all the investigators involved in this case resulted in the apprehension of this predator in less than 24 hours," Deputy Chief Anthony Manna said. "All of us in the law enforcement profession take very seriously those individuals who engage in criminal activity while fraudulently claiming to be a police officer."
Lipham is charged with two counts of sexual assault and one count of impersonating a law enforcement officer.
new jersey, fairfield, sexual assault, police impersonation, new jersey news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 4 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State 48 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store 9 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 7 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
4 min ago