New Jersey News
Fatal police involved shooting in Jersey City
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- Authorities say a police officer fatally shot an emotionally disturbed man who tried to attack him with a knife inside a northern New Jersey apartment building.
Acting Hudson County Prosecutor Gaetano Gregory says the 44-year-old Jersey City man was shot in the head and upper body Friday night. He died a short time later at a hospital, and his name had not been disclosed as of early Saturday evening.
Police went to the four-story building around 7 p.m. after being told the man had locked himself in his apartment.
After repeated attempts to negotiate with him proved unsuccessful, an emergency services police team entered the apartment and were immediately confronted by the man. Officers then tried unsuccessfully to disarm him shortly before the shooting occurred.
The officer who shot the man was treated for stress-induced trauma, but had no physical injuries. His name was not disclosed, but officials say he is a sergeant who has served with the Jersey City force for about 15 years.
The shooting is under investigation by the prosecutor's office, which is standard policy in police-involved shootings. Authorities say a preliminary review showed the officer's actions apparently were justified
new jersey, police shooting, jersey city, new jersey news
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 17 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 41 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 38 min ago
- Missing jet drastically veered off course 35 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
17 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
38 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos