New Jersey News
Fatal police involved shooting in Jersey City
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- Authorities say a police officer fatally shot an emotionally disturbed man who tried to attack him with a knife inside a northern New Jersey apartment building.
Acting Hudson County Prosecutor Gaetano Gregory says the 44-year-old Jersey City man was shot in the head and upper body Friday night. He died a short time later at a hospital, and his name had not been disclosed as of early Saturday evening.
Police went to the four-story building around 7 p.m. after being told the man had locked himself in his apartment.
After repeated attempts to negotiate with him proved unsuccessful, an emergency services police team entered the apartment and were immediately confronted by the man. Officers then tried unsuccessfully to disarm him shortly before the shooting occurred.
The officer who shot the man was treated for stress-induced trauma, but had no physical injuries. His name was not disclosed, but officials say he is a sergeant who has served with the Jersey City force for about 15 years.
The shooting is under investigation by the prosecutor's office, which is standard policy in police-involved shootings. Authorities say a preliminary review showed the officer's actions apparently were justified
new jersey, police shooting, jersey city, new jersey news
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead 39 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend 50 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg 25 min ago
- Bratton visits Sharpton at National Action Network 8 min ago
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
39 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
50 min ago