New Jersey News
Newark cop fatally shoots armed robbery suspect
NEWARK -- Authorities say a veteran Newark police officer interrupted a robbery at a city supermarket and fatally shot the armed bandit.
Essex County prosecutors say the shooting occurred around 3 p.m. Sunday.
The officer, who also is a security guard at the supermarket, was reporting for work when he saw the robbery in progress. He immediately identified himself and tried to apprehend the robber, who showed a handgun.
The officer fired one shot which hit the suspect, who then fled the supermarket. But he soon collapsed and was taken to a hospital, where he died a short time later.
The officer was treated at a hospital for stress induced trauma. His name was not disclosed.
The shooting is under investigation by the prosecutor's office, which is standard policy in police-involved shootings.
new jersey, newark, police shooting, robbery, new jersey news
- At least 6 dead, 69 hurt in East Harlem explosion 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Two East Harlem explosion victims identified
- Survivors describe explosion in East Harlem
- Dozens homeless after East Harlem buildings destroyed
- Video: 2 men describe pulling child out of rubble
- Investigators focus on an old cast-iron gas pipeline
- Video: East Harlem Explosion on social media
- Video: Damage throughout neighborhood after East...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape