New Jersey News
Newark cop fatally shoots armed robbery suspect
NEWARK -- Authorities say a veteran Newark police officer interrupted a robbery at a city supermarket and fatally shot the armed bandit.
Essex County prosecutors say the shooting occurred around 3 p.m. Sunday.
The officer, who also is a security guard at the supermarket, was reporting for work when he saw the robbery in progress. He immediately identified himself and tried to apprehend the robber, who showed a handgun.
The officer fired one shot which hit the suspect, who then fled the supermarket. But he soon collapsed and was taken to a hospital, where he died a short time later.
The officer was treated at a hospital for stress induced trauma. His name was not disclosed.
The shooting is under investigation by the prosecutor's office, which is standard policy in police-involved shootings.
new jersey, newark, police shooting, robbery, new jersey news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster