New Jersey News
22-year-old man struck and killed in Bayonne
BAYONNE, N.J. (WABC) -- Police in Bayonne, New Jersey are searching for a driver who fatally struck a 22-year-old man.
He was left dying in the road.
Police say they want to find the driver and are not calling it a hit-and-run because the driver may not have realized he hit anyone.
Police right now are going through 10 blocks worth of surveillance video looking for answers into the terrible accident.
"When I see him smiling, a picture of him smiling that's what I'll remember," said Susan McGlone, the victim's mother.
Susan McGlone is left with only pictures and memories of her once vibrant son Justin Bellini.
The 22-year-old student was killed this week in Bayonne, New Jersey after a night out with friends.
His mother is now begging the driver to come forward.
"I just don't understand why someone would hit him and just leave him there to die," McGlone said.
It was 4:30 Saturday morning on 25th St. and Broadway.
Justin's body was found in the road by a Good Samaritan who called for help.
After analyzing his injuries and the scene Bayonne Police now believe the driver may not have known he had just killed a man.
"There is a possibility that the driver did not know and there's a possibility that our victim may have been laying in the street where the vehicle ran him over," said Detective Captain Walter Rogers, Bayonne Police Department.
Of course that's no consolation for Justin's family.
The oldest of three children, he was a junior in college.
His dream was to teach special education to young children, the ones who need help the most. But where was help when he needed it most?
"He was so full of life that it's just a real shame," McGlone said.
Even if it turns out to be just a horrible accident and not a crime, police would like the driver to come forward so the family can have closure.
The funeral is scheduled for Thursday morning.
new jersey, bayonne, pedestrian struck, new jersey news, lucy yang
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks 52 min ago
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane 48 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 20 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Good Samaritans rescue woman from burning car
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
16 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos