New Jersey News
22-year-old man struck and killed in Bayonne
BAYONNE, N.J. (WABC) -- Police in Bayonne, New Jersey are searching for a driver who fatally struck a 22-year-old man.
He was left dying in the road.
Police say they want to find the driver and are not calling it a hit-and-run because the driver may not have realized he hit anyone.
Police right now are going through 10 blocks worth of surveillance video looking for answers into the terrible accident.
"When I see him smiling, a picture of him smiling that's what I'll remember," said Susan McGlone, the victim's mother.
Susan McGlone is left with only pictures and memories of her once vibrant son Justin Bellini.
The 22-year-old student was killed this week in Bayonne, New Jersey after a night out with friends.
His mother is now begging the driver to come forward.
"I just don't understand why someone would hit him and just leave him there to die," McGlone said.
It was 4:30 Saturday morning on 25th St. and Broadway.
Justin's body was found in the road by a Good Samaritan who called for help.
After analyzing his injuries and the scene Bayonne Police now believe the driver may not have known he had just killed a man.
"There is a possibility that the driver did not know and there's a possibility that our victim may have been laying in the street where the vehicle ran him over," said Detective Captain Walter Rogers, Bayonne Police Department.
Of course that's no consolation for Justin's family.
The oldest of three children, he was a junior in college.
His dream was to teach special education to young children, the ones who need help the most. But where was help when he needed it most?
"He was so full of life that it's just a real shame," McGlone said.
Even if it turns out to be just a horrible accident and not a crime, police would like the driver to come forward so the family can have closure.
The funeral is scheduled for Thursday morning.
new jersey, bayonne, pedestrian struck, new jersey news, lucy yang
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles 5 min ago
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel 26 min ago
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Third grader killed in accident, truck...
5 min ago
- Car dealer charged after selling...
5 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos