New Jersey News
2 shot, 1 fatally, inside Newark bodega
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- Two people were shot, one fatally, inside a New Jersey bodega Monday night.
The incident happened on Bergen Street in Newark just before 7 p.m.
People in Newark are once again angry that violence is so prevalent in a community, where many just want to raise their families peacefully.
Investigators roped off the snowy Newark neighborhood and gathered evidence inside the corner store.
Police say two people were shot inside at 960 Bergen Street.
Area resident Michael Scott said it was a chaotic scene, with paramedics rushing a well-known store worker to the hospital.
"He's a good person," Scott said. "He looks out for us. He doesn't want us to grow up like these gangsters."
Who did it and why remains a mystery.
As investigators gathered evidence, neighbors like Latasha Herring are demanding action.
"The politicians and the congressman need to come and clean up this area, because we need to live here," she said. "We are afraid to even go outside. My son is 22 and he doesn't even hang on the streets because it's so bad out here. He can't go outside like a normal kid and play football or do stuff because it's too much trouble. They need to bring somebody to really clean up this area."
new jersey, shooting, newark, new jersey news, carolina leid
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 10 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court 34 min ago
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
10 min ago