New Jersey News
2 shot, 1 fatally, inside Newark bodega
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- Two people were shot, one fatally, inside a New Jersey bodega Monday night.
The incident happened on Bergen Street in Newark just before 7 p.m.
People in Newark are once again angry that violence is so prevalent in a community, where many just want to raise their families peacefully.
Investigators roped off the snowy Newark neighborhood and gathered evidence inside the corner store.
Police say two people were shot inside at 960 Bergen Street.
Area resident Michael Scott said it was a chaotic scene, with paramedics rushing a well-known store worker to the hospital.
"He's a good person," Scott said. "He looks out for us. He doesn't want us to grow up like these gangsters."
Who did it and why remains a mystery.
As investigators gathered evidence, neighbors like Latasha Herring are demanding action.
"The politicians and the congressman need to come and clean up this area, because we need to live here," she said. "We are afraid to even go outside. My son is 22 and he doesn't even hang on the streets because it's so bad out here. He can't go outside like a normal kid and play football or do stuff because it's too much trouble. They need to bring somebody to really clean up this area."
new jersey, shooting, newark, new jersey news, carolina leid
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident