New Jersey News
Sammy the Cocker Spaniel on the mend
TINTON FALLS, N.J. (WABC) -- Sammy the Cocker Spaniel who was close to death just five days ago is beginning to walk and eat on his own.
Chief Amato of the Monmouth County SPCA wasn't even sure Sammy would live. It's not hard to see why. A couple said they found Sammy in a plastic bag on the side of the road.
His fur was so matted with filth he couldn't walk.
He had burns on his paws and ear infections that were so bad he might never hear again.
It turns out that couple lied and Sammy was theirs.
At Keith and Shauna Morgan's apartment in Brick Township no one would open the door.
"No comment we have council," the Morgan's said.
Sammy's story has touched people all over the world.
They've receive calls from Australia Japan and England.
Here in this country from as far away as California.
People are sending expensive beds.
A 6-year-old had his mom drive an hour on Saturday so he could give his allowance, $1.70.
All of this is so sweet, but keep this in mind at the Monmouth County SPCA all of the dogs need a home too.
Sparky, Tessa, and Ebony also need homes just to name a few.
Sammy is short for Samurai. It's an appropriate name because he is a warrior.
Originally they thought he was around 8 years old, now it looks like he is older, maybe 12 or 13.
But with a donated Burberry jacket and a ton of love he is on the mend.
The folks at the hospital say Sammy has enough love and enough things.
If you really want to help, adopt one of the thousands of Sammy's all over the country.
As for the couple, the Morgan's, they are facing six months in prison and a $1,000 fine.
new jersey, dog, animal abuse, new jersey news, phil lipof
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 39 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway 49 min ago
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Suspect questioned after body found in container 31 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58 11 min ago
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- Pope Francis celebrates Easter with prayers for peace 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
39 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos