New Jersey News
George Washington Bridge guard charged with smoking pot on duty
FORT LEE, N.J. -- Police from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey have charged a private security guard at the George Washington Bridge with smoking marijuana on duty.
The arrest occurred Wednesday afternoon.
Police say a Port Authority officer conducting routine guard post inspections smelled marijuana in a security booth at one of the bridge's towers.
Sami Omar, a North Bergen resident, denied smoking marijuana. A search of the post allegedly found a marijuana cigarette and a bag of marijuana.
Omar was charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia and with being under the influence of a controlled dangerous substance. He works for FJC Security, which employs several hundred security guards at the New York area's bridges, tunnels and airports.
It was not known if Omar had retained an attorney.
new jersey, drug arrest, marijuana, george washington bridge, new jersey news
- Sources confirm subway child is missing NYC boy 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 30 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Sources confirm subway child is missing NYC...
2 min ago