New Jersey News
Student runs for spot on Wood-Ridge school board
WOOD-RIDGE, N.J. (WABC) -- He hasn't even graduated from high school yet but one teenager is already running his first campaign.
18-year-old Dylan O'Byrne is one of seven candidates in Wood-Ridge running for a seat on the school board.
"I know what going on first hand. I see it day to day in the classrooms," said Dylan O'Byrne, student running for school board.
He's not a parent, doesn't have a job, and can't get in a bar, but Dylan O'Byrne says he's more than qualified to be a Wood-Ridge School Board member.
The 18-year-old is the high school's student body president, an eagle scout, and a member of several clubs.
"There's no age for Board of Education, Councilman, Senator, any elected position. You need experience," O'Byrne said.
Dylan is one of seven candidates running for a seat.
He's banking on bringing fresh ideas and says he knows what students need, because he is one.
His biggest concerns are teacher turnover and low standardized test scores.
"All students are capable of getting those higher grades and scores as long as they are given the right tools and the proper teachers," O'Byrne said.
Keep in mind, less than 1% of board members in New Jersey are under age 25.
Less than 2% are under 35.
Most are between their mid 40s and 60s.
Dylan plans to go to college locally.
Eyewitness News didn't find any skeptics pointing to lack of life experience.
Instead, Eyewitness News found support from students and parents who say may the best person regardless of age win on April 16th.
new jersey, wood ridge, student, new jersey news, carolina leid
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
1 min ago