New Jersey News
Vigil held for man killed five years ago
ELIZABETH, N.J. (WABC) -- The life of a young college student was cut short and ended before it ever got started.
Scott Walker was shot and killed in New Jersey and police don't know who did it.
That was five years ago. Thursday night, his family is still grieving and held a vigil.
Thomas, who is an accomplished graffiti and tattoo artist, painted a life like mural of Scott that will be revealed during a candlelight vigil commemorating the fifth year anniversary of Scott's death.
"My life without my son has been empty," said Michelle Walker, the victim's mother.
Michelle Walker made a promise at her son's grave five years ago to never stop looking for his killers.
"When they took my son away they took a part of me away," Walker said.
On this 5th anniversary of Francis Scott Walker Jr.'s murder, community members held signs saying we will never forget.
Investigators say The 20 year old was shot by gang members as he tried to park his car near the corner of 1st Street and South Park Avenue in Elizabeth after a night out bowling with close friends.
Prosecutors say it was absolutely a case of mistaken identity.
They continue to get tips and refuse to call it a cold case.
"I would hope someone would do it out if the goodness of their heart but if that doesn't happen there's going to come a time when someone's looking for a deal and they're going to give the information we need. I'm confident this will be solved," said Michael Henn, Union County Prosecutor's Office.
"Our son was not a gang banger. He was not a street dealer. He was not a violent person. He was a loving person," the victim's father said.
He was a second year college student who wanted to be an accountant and planned to give back to this community.
"It's the most empty horribly feeling like there's this knot in my stomach," the victim's mother said, "The only time I won't feel this I guess is when I die."
new jersey, elizabeth, murder, new jersey news, carolina leid
- 90-minute delays linger after LIRR service suspension 47 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NYC home invasion robbery suspects caught on camera
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures