New Jersey News
Gunman sought in Newark IHOP shooting
NEWARK (WABC) -- Police are searching for the gunman who killed one man and wounded two others at an IHOP restaurant in Newark Saturday.
They released a grainy surveillance image of the shooter on Monday evening.
The incident happened just after 3 a.m. in the parking lot of the restaurant on Bergen Street, sending people running for cover.
Sources tell Eyewitness News the manager of the restaurant, 30-year-old Papa Khaly Ndiaye was among the three who were shot. Ndiaye was later pronounced dead at University Hospital in Newark.
Accoding to the Essex County prosecutor's office, one victim remains hospitalized in stable condition. A third victim was treated and released. Both of the victims are males.
Sources say the shooting stemmed from a fight that happened inside the restaurant.
Many customers tried to enter the restaurant on Saturday afternoon, only to turn around after realizing it was closed. The violence in the area has stunned many, but Thomas Ellis tells Eyewitness News he wasn't surprised.
"Business owners are scared, people are scared," says Ellis, "it moved me because I've eaten here before. I live in the community, and whenever we hear any incidence of violence, it just touches us somewhere."
new jersey, newark, shooting, new jersey news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 36 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store 41 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 39 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
36 min ago