New Jersey News
Gunman sought in Newark IHOP shooting
NEWARK (WABC) -- Police are searching for the gunman who killed one man and wounded two others at an IHOP restaurant in Newark Saturday.
They released a grainy surveillance image of the shooter on Monday evening.
The incident happened just after 3 a.m. in the parking lot of the restaurant on Bergen Street, sending people running for cover.
Sources tell Eyewitness News the manager of the restaurant, 30-year-old Papa Khaly Ndiaye was among the three who were shot. Ndiaye was later pronounced dead at University Hospital in Newark.
Accoding to the Essex County prosecutor's office, one victim remains hospitalized in stable condition. A third victim was treated and released. Both of the victims are males.
Sources say the shooting stemmed from a fight that happened inside the restaurant.
Many customers tried to enter the restaurant on Saturday afternoon, only to turn around after realizing it was closed. The violence in the area has stunned many, but Thomas Ellis tells Eyewitness News he wasn't surprised.
"Business owners are scared, people are scared," says Ellis, "it moved me because I've eaten here before. I live in the community, and whenever we hear any incidence of violence, it just touches us somewhere."
new jersey, newark, shooting, new jersey news
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected 49 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized 57 min ago
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism
- Man dies paragliding after hitting ice
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
57 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected
49 min ago