New Jersey News
Gunman sought in Newark IHOP shooting
NEWARK (WABC) -- Police are searching for the gunman who killed one man and wounded two others at an IHOP restaurant in Newark Saturday.
They released a grainy surveillance image of the shooter on Monday evening.
The incident happened just after 3 a.m. in the parking lot of the restaurant on Bergen Street, sending people running for cover.
Sources tell Eyewitness News the manager of the restaurant, 30-year-old Papa Khaly Ndiaye was among the three who were shot. Ndiaye was later pronounced dead at University Hospital in Newark.
Accoding to the Essex County prosecutor's office, one victim remains hospitalized in stable condition. A third victim was treated and released. Both of the victims are males.
Sources say the shooting stemmed from a fight that happened inside the restaurant.
Many customers tried to enter the restaurant on Saturday afternoon, only to turn around after realizing it was closed. The violence in the area has stunned many, but Thomas Ellis tells Eyewitness News he wasn't surprised.
"Business owners are scared, people are scared," says Ellis, "it moved me because I've eaten here before. I live in the community, and whenever we hear any incidence of violence, it just touches us somewhere."
new jersey, newark, shooting, new jersey news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 14 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 19 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- US deploys 600 troops to Ukraine border nations
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens 16 min ago
- Jet stowaway spent hours undetected before flight 55 min ago
- NYC among 15 cities being considered for 2016 DNC 36 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
14 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos