New Jersey News
Gunman sought in Newark IHOP shooting
NEWARK (WABC) -- Police are searching for the gunman who killed one man and wounded two others at an IHOP restaurant in Newark Saturday.
They released a grainy surveillance image of the shooter on Monday evening.
The incident happened just after 3 a.m. in the parking lot of the restaurant on Bergen Street, sending people running for cover.
Sources tell Eyewitness News the manager of the restaurant, 30-year-old Papa Khaly Ndiaye was among the three who were shot. Ndiaye was later pronounced dead at University Hospital in Newark.
Accoding to the Essex County prosecutor's office, one victim remains hospitalized in stable condition. A third victim was treated and released. Both of the victims are males.
Sources say the shooting stemmed from a fight that happened inside the restaurant.
Many customers tried to enter the restaurant on Saturday afternoon, only to turn around after realizing it was closed. The violence in the area has stunned many, but Thomas Ellis tells Eyewitness News he wasn't surprised.
"Business owners are scared, people are scared," says Ellis, "it moved me because I've eaten here before. I live in the community, and whenever we hear any incidence of violence, it just touches us somewhere."
new jersey, newark, shooting, new jersey news
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Plane's nose gear collapses at Philadelphia airport
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Man in 'Modern Family' star groping appears in court
- $353 million up for grabs in Mega Millions drawing Friday