New Jersey News
Gunman sought in Newark IHOP shooting
NEWARK (WABC) -- Police are searching for the gunman who killed one man and wounded two others at an IHOP restaurant in Newark Saturday.
They released a grainy surveillance image of the shooter on Monday evening.
The incident happened just after 3 a.m. in the parking lot of the restaurant on Bergen Street, sending people running for cover.
Sources tell Eyewitness News the manager of the restaurant, 30-year-old Papa Khaly Ndiaye was among the three who were shot. Ndiaye was later pronounced dead at University Hospital in Newark.
Accoding to the Essex County prosecutor's office, one victim remains hospitalized in stable condition. A third victim was treated and released. Both of the victims are males.
Sources say the shooting stemmed from a fight that happened inside the restaurant.
Many customers tried to enter the restaurant on Saturday afternoon, only to turn around after realizing it was closed. The violence in the area has stunned many, but Thomas Ellis tells Eyewitness News he wasn't surprised.
"Business owners are scared, people are scared," says Ellis, "it moved me because I've eaten here before. I live in the community, and whenever we hear any incidence of violence, it just touches us somewhere."
new jersey, newark, shooting, new jersey news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 14 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies 49 min ago
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing 26 min ago
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice 18 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos