New Jersey News
2 found dead following fire in Middletown
MIDDLETOWN (WABC) -- Two people were found dead inside a home after a fast-moving fire burned through the structure in Middletown, New Jersey, late Tuesday.
The residents, a woman and her daughter, were initially believed to have escaped the fire, which broke out on Ideal Avenue just after 10:50 p.m.
But firefighters became concerned that no one was outside the home, and the bodies were discovered inside the remains of the house. The victims were identified as 53-year-old Diane Young and 27-year-old Jacqueline Young.
"I knew the young lady that lived there," one neighbor said. "She was a friendly girl. She was always walking up and down the street with her dog. Very, very friendly. It's just a shame."
The fire was contained to the second floor after firefighters got a quick upper hand and extinguished the flames in about a half hour.
"Crews made an aggressive attack and quickly extinguished the fire," Fire Chief John D'Altilio said. "Right now, it's under investigation by the Middletown Fire Marshal's Office, the Monmouth County Fire Marshal's Office and also the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office."
Neighbors remembered the Youngs as nice people, adding they opened their home to neighbors for showers and food after many lost power during Hurricane Sandy.
They say that Diane Young worked as a mail carrier, while Jacqueline was a nanny.
It appears that the younger Young was able to save her dog, and authorities were looking into whether or not she ran back inside to try and save her mother.
Neighbors were horrified as they saw the flames shooting through the second floor of the home in Middletown last night.
Diane's relatives say the two women were found in each other's arms, and authorities now say, they both died of smoke inhalation.
The mother and daughter remembered as kindhearted neighbors, always willing to help especially after many people on this block lost their power in Superstorm Sandy.
The origin of the fire was on the second floor of the home and the cause has been determined to be accidental.
new jersey, middletown, fire, deadly fire, body found, new jersey news
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store 34 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 14 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 8 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
12 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
14 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp...
8 min ago