New Jersey News
Father of boy shot by neighbor talks about son
TOMS RIVER, N.J. (WABC) -- Holding a picture of his son Brandon, Ron Holt tried so hard to remember how his 6-year-old boy lived, not how he died.
"This is actually a picture right before he is losing his teeth. His baby teeth," said Ron Holt, the victim's father.
Brandon was always smiling, always laughing, and always so energetic and kind.
Monday he was playing with a 4-year-old neighbor right next door.
Somehow, police say that 4-year-old got a hold of a loaded rifle from inside his house.
He accidentally fired one shot that hit and killed Brandon.
"Unfortunately nothing will bring him back. It's all there is," said Randy Holt, the victim's uncle.
For everyone, the emotion is still so raw.
Brandon's Uncle Randy was touched by all of the purple ribbons put up on their street by neighborhood kids.
Brandon's parents were touched too.
They have decided to donate his organs.
"Me and my wife, we both decided that it would help carry his name, that he is helping somebody," Ron Holt said.
It is a beautiful way to have Brandon live on.
Pat Suppa will always remember her last conversation with Brandon, Monday, not long before the fatal shot was fired.
"He was excited to lose his tooth. I said, 'What are you going to do with it?' And he said, 'Put it under my pillow.' Then of course, he went across the street and started playing with the children," said Pat Suppa, a neighbor.
About an hour later, he was gone.
It's almost impossible to make sense of.
There is something Brandon's uncle wants every parent to pay attention to.
"He was a gift. Parents have got to remember that when they think their child is annoying or bothering them, they got to remember, he is still there," Randy Holt said.
Brandon's funeral will be held Saturday morning in Tom's River.
new jersey, toms river, shooting, child shot, new jersey news, phil lipof
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ