New Jersey News
Several arrests after rowdy Rutgers off-campus party
NEW BRUNSWICK (WABC) -- Police in riot gear were called in to break up an out of control block party by Rutgers students in New Brunswick Saturday night.
Authorities say several people were arrested after partygoers began breaking bottles and burning furniture in the area of Delafield street.
No serious injuries were reported, but many people said they were pepper sprayed as police worked to clear the scene.
Authorities say most of those arrested were cited for disorderly conduct or simple assault.
Witnesses say a booze and pot-filled party called "Delafest" culminated with students burning a couch in the middle of the street.
Police quickly raided the area and ordered students to move - most did, but not everyone.
That is when the cops sent in a riot squad armed with pepper spray to disburse the crowd of several hundred.
Cell phone video captured the ensuing chaos as police struggled to get the Rutgers students under control.
Police even searched off-campus houses for instigators, and handed out $400 noise citations.
Students took to social media to document what happened, posting on Twitter and Facebook.
"Police were pepper spraying people, there were couches getting burned. There was pretty much chaos," said student Brian MacNiven.
The party, dubbed "Delafest" is in response to "Rutgersfest", a block party that the university had cancelled because it got too rowdy.
There is no comment from Rutgers University yet on the off-campus disturbance.
new jersey, rutgers university, new brunswick, college, college drinking, drug, new jersey news
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze being laid to rest
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Orange County school evacuated after ceiling collapse
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos