New Jersey News
New Jersey golfer killed by falling tree while retrieving ball
ALPINE -- Police say a New Jersey golfer is dead after a tree fell on him while he tried to retrieve an errant ball from the backyard of a home adjacent to an exclusive country club.
Alpine police identified the man as 60-year-old Sung Paik of Union City.
Capt. Michael LaViola tells The Record newspaper that Paik entered the yard where workers were removing a dead tree Sunday afternoon. LaViola says the workers yelled for Paik to move but the tree gave way on its own.
Paik's golfing partner and a physician who was also on the course at Montammy Golf Club performed CPR but Paik was pronounced dead at a hospital.
LaViola called the death accidental although local ordinances bar homeowners from hiring workers for such work on Sundays.
new jersey, new jersey news
- LIRR suspended between Huntington, Hicksville 10 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 34 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 7 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures 30 min ago