New Jersey News
Ewing, New Jersey woman and young children found to be living in storage locker
EWING, New Jersey (WABC) -- Police in New Jersey say a woman's arrest led them to discover that she and her two young children were living in a filthy and tiny storage locker.
Police say the unit is climate controlled, but people who rent other spaces say there's no water, electricity or thermostat in the units.
The children are now in the custody of Division of Youth and Family Services while their mother is behind bars.
The 5 and 10-year-old boys were found inside the cramped and cluttered storage unit in Mercer County.
During an unrelated arrest, police say their mother admitted that they were living in these conditions for more than a month.
Junior Brady says he met Sheena Johnson and her kids about three weeks ago and felt something just wasn't right.
"You thought she was living there?" Eyewitness News asked.
"Yeah," Brady said.
"Why?" Eyewitness News said.
"Because I never saw a car, never saw a car," Brady said.
The 27 year old mother was arrested Thursday morning for allegedly slashing her ex-boyfriend's tires and violating a restraining order.
During processing, investigators say she admitted the family was living at the Extra Space Storage Facility in Ewing.
Police say the kids didn't look hurt or malnourished when they found them, so they got them food and took them to the hospital to get checked out.
Bernice Watson rents a space there and can't believe they were living like this.
"I can't even think about something living in a storage unit. I have four kids myself, total shock," Watson said.
The children's mother is charged with endangering the welfare of a child.
No bail has been set.
new jersey, child endangerment, new jersey news, carolina leid
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 4 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills 10 min ago
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse 10 min ago
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth 31 min ago
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
10 min ago
- City Council passes plastic foam,...
10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
4 min ago
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof...
10 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos