New Jersey News
New Jersey principal bans strapless dresses for dance
READINGTON -- Some parents are upset that a principal has banned girls from wearing strapless dresses to an eighth grade dance.
Mother Charlotte Nijenhuis tells the Courier News of Bridgewater she spoke to the Readington Middle School principal, who told her such dresses distract boys.
Nijenhuis says it's neither a woman's nor a girl's responsibility to control a man's or boy's behavior.
Melissa May says she would not allow her daughter to wear something that she felt was inappropriate.
Parents and students packed Tuesday night's school board meeting to give the superintendent an earful. They say the principal banned strapless dresses because she says it's a distraction for the boys and inappropriate for this age group. Some say that they should just let parents do the parenting.
"This is new. We haven't seen this in the last 6 years. They've always been permitted to wear strapless dresses," said parent Charlotte Nijenhuis.
Principal Sharon Moffet had no comment for Eyewitness News, but some parents defended her decision.
"My dress is modest. It's not revealing whatsoever. I don't want to waste my money just because I bought a dress that doesn't have straps," said student Rachel Griffin.
"It's not about a dress code, it's about respecting authority. This is what they decided to do, do it," said parent Philip Ritter.
In the end, board members agreed they will over the dress code and consider students and parents opinions when they make a final decision.
new jersey, new jersey news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted 23 min ago
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar 57 min ago
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral 39 min ago
- Budget vote approved in the House 12 min ago
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees