New Jersey News
New Jersey principal bans strapless dresses for dance
READINGTON -- Some parents are upset that a principal has banned girls from wearing strapless dresses to an eighth grade dance.
Mother Charlotte Nijenhuis tells the Courier News of Bridgewater she spoke to the Readington Middle School principal, who told her such dresses distract boys.
Nijenhuis says it's neither a woman's nor a girl's responsibility to control a man's or boy's behavior.
Melissa May says she would not allow her daughter to wear something that she felt was inappropriate.
Parents and students packed Tuesday night's school board meeting to give the superintendent an earful. They say the principal banned strapless dresses because she says it's a distraction for the boys and inappropriate for this age group. Some say that they should just let parents do the parenting.
"This is new. We haven't seen this in the last 6 years. They've always been permitted to wear strapless dresses," said parent Charlotte Nijenhuis.
Principal Sharon Moffet had no comment for Eyewitness News, but some parents defended her decision.
"My dress is modest. It's not revealing whatsoever. I don't want to waste my money just because I bought a dress that doesn't have straps," said student Rachel Griffin.
"It's not about a dress code, it's about respecting authority. This is what they decided to do, do it," said parent Philip Ritter.
In the end, board members agreed they will over the dress code and consider students and parents opinions when they make a final decision.
new jersey, new jersey news
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 43 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos