New Jersey News
New Jersey school board to review strapless dress ban
READINGTON -- School board members will review a dress code since a principal banned girls from wearing strapless dresses to an eighth-grade dance.
More than a dozen parents and Readington Middle School students spoke at Tuesday night's board meeting.
Charlotte Nijenhuis, who has a 13-year-old daughter, claims principal Sharon Moffat told her such dresses distract boys.
The Courier News of Bridgewater reports students and parents said the rule should have been clarified earlier because many parents already have purchased their daughters' dresses. Others said that dresses with straps can be even more revealing.
Many parents said it's up to them, not the principal, to determine what their children wear.
The school board will meet May 14.
The June dance is funded by the parents and is held off school grounds.
new jersey, new jersey news
- Snowstorm moves into New York area 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos 26 min ago
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures 26 min ago
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures 27 min ago
- NJ Transit delays due to problems on Portal Bridge
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow 13 min ago
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Port Authority relocating owls that are threat to planes
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
21 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos