New Jersey News
New Jersey school board to review strapless dress ban
READINGTON -- School board members will review a dress code since a principal banned girls from wearing strapless dresses to an eighth-grade dance.
More than a dozen parents and Readington Middle School students spoke at Tuesday night's board meeting.
Charlotte Nijenhuis, who has a 13-year-old daughter, claims principal Sharon Moffat told her such dresses distract boys.
The Courier News of Bridgewater reports students and parents said the rule should have been clarified earlier because many parents already have purchased their daughters' dresses. Others said that dresses with straps can be even more revealing.
Many parents said it's up to them, not the principal, to determine what their children wear.
The school board will meet May 14.
The June dance is funded by the parents and is held off school grounds.
new jersey, new jersey news
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion 43 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath and Beyond
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion 56 min ago
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Suspect in terrifying Brooklyn sex assault caught on camera
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas