New Jersey News
70-year-old grandmother shot in Jersey City drive-by
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- Three people are in custody and a fourth is being sought after a 70-year-old woman was shot in a drive-by shooting in Jersey City, New Jersey.
Three bullets grazed Aida Lopez as she was standing on Griffith Street Thursday afternoon.
Police say she was the unintended target of a man who was in a dispute with another group of men.
Lopez is in stable condition Jersey City Medical Center, surrounded by family members who are just happy the grandmother is alive.
"She's in good spirits," daughter Nancy Lopez said.
Nancy Lopez was there when the shooting happened.
"She fell down," she said. "I saw her shaking, I realized she'd been shot."
Nancy didn't wait for an ambulance, rushing Aida to the hospital herself.
She was eventually transferred to Jersey City Medical Center, where doctors were able to stabilize her condition.
"Three bullets grazed her," nursing supervisor Charmain Efill said. "She's a very lucky person."
Her family is angry and frustrated that even a 70-year-old woman is not safe in Jersey City.
"These kids are crazy," son-in-law David Santiago said. "Out of their minds. I don't whether it was an accident, just retaliation, it's crazy.''
Aida Lopez could be released as early as Friday. Meanwhile, the manhunt for the fourth suspect continues. Those in custody have been identified as Malik High, Tyquan Goodwin and Travis Rivera.
new jersey, jersey city, shooting, new jersey news, jeff pegues
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos 13 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident 44 min ago
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos