New Jersey News
70-year-old grandmother shot in Jersey City drive-by
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- Three people are in custody and a fourth is being sought after a 70-year-old woman was shot in a drive-by shooting in Jersey City, New Jersey.
Three bullets grazed Aida Lopez as she was standing on Griffith Street Thursday afternoon.
Police say she was the unintended target of a man who was in a dispute with another group of men.
Lopez is in stable condition Jersey City Medical Center, surrounded by family members who are just happy the grandmother is alive.
"She's in good spirits," daughter Nancy Lopez said.
Nancy Lopez was there when the shooting happened.
"She fell down," she said. "I saw her shaking, I realized she'd been shot."
Nancy didn't wait for an ambulance, rushing Aida to the hospital herself.
She was eventually transferred to Jersey City Medical Center, where doctors were able to stabilize her condition.
"Three bullets grazed her," nursing supervisor Charmain Efill said. "She's a very lucky person."
Her family is angry and frustrated that even a 70-year-old woman is not safe in Jersey City.
"These kids are crazy," son-in-law David Santiago said. "Out of their minds. I don't whether it was an accident, just retaliation, it's crazy.''
Aida Lopez could be released as early as Friday. Meanwhile, the manhunt for the fourth suspect continues. Those in custody have been identified as Malik High, Tyquan Goodwin and Travis Rivera.
new jersey, jersey city, shooting, new jersey news, jeff pegues
- Nekisia Davis' mom, Cheryl, stole a 1993 Honda Accord - and she didn't even mean to. 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 2 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Burlington County woman charged with trying to kill her 3...
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 21 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 18 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
2 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos