New Jersey News
Man arrested with bomb parts says he was making fireworks
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- A Jersey City man charged after cops found parts for making a bomb in his home says he was just making homemade fireworks.
Mykyta Panasenko said Friday he never intended to harm anyone, and was stunned at seeing his name in news reports from the U.S. to Europe implying he was somehow connected to the Boston Marathon bombings.
Authorities insist he had no connection and his arrest preceded the Boston bombings.
Several media outlets reported his arrest and charges in a way that insinuated he had a sinister motive, or was connected to the bombings in Boston, Panasenko said.
"Because of misinformation, I now have to explain to everyone that I have no links to terrorism, which is pretty ridiculous," Panasenko said.
The 27-year-old Jersey City resident acknowledges taking explosive materials on a train April 7 to set off fireworks in the woods in Suffern, north of New York City. He said a roommate saw some of the firework components in their New Jersey apartment and contacted police.
"I decided, in a pretty foolish idea, to experiment with gunpowder and make little firework type things," Panasenko said. "I decided to take them to the woods somewhere where no one lives, and watch them explode, for fun - for lack of a better word. Of course this was a bad decision, I do admit that," he added.
Police and FBI agents searched his apartment, according to Panasenko, who said he told them everything he had done, including taking the train to Suffern. He was arrested a week after the search, on April 15, the day of the Boston bombings.
Prosecutors declined Friday to say what was found in Panasenko's apartment. Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Gene Rubino said Panasenko faces serious charges, including creating a risk of widespread injury or damage, but he would not have been released without bail if anyone in law enforcement thought he posed a threat to the public.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
new jersey, jersey city, new jersey news
- 90-minute delays linger after LIRR service suspension 1 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash 37 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NYC home invasion robbery suspects caught on camera 56 min ago
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody 19 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat 40 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures