New Jersey News
Cop hurt when New Jersey police chase ends in crash
CLIFTON (WABC) -- A New Jersey police officer is in the hospital after after a pursuit ended in a multi-vehicle crash in Clifton early Thursday.
The thunderous crash happened around 2:25 a.m. at the intersection of Clifton and Colfax avenues and involved two cruisers and a passenger vehicle that contained the suspect.
Police say the incident began when an officer spotted the suspect's vehicle weaving in and out of the lanes on Clifton Avenue around 2 a.m. He attempted to pull over the driver, who did not stop. A sergeant who arrived to provide backup was struck by the suspect, sparking the three-car accident.
Emergency crews arrived on the debris-littered scene and removed the injured officer on a stretcher. He reportedly suffered a head injury, and further details of his condition are not known.
The suspect got out of his car after the crash, but was then caught by the patrol officer. The officer injured his arm during a struggle with the suspect, and he was treated and released at St Joseph's Medical Center.
The crash woke up residents and rattled the neighborhood.
"I heard skidmarks, loud skidmarks, and I just heard a big boom, a big crash," Clifton resident George Priester said. "Then we came running outside...and I heard police telling him 'Stop or I'll shoot, stop or I'll shoot.' Somebody running down towards the high school."
The intersection remains closed and is expected to remain so for some time.
Charges are pending against the suspect, who is also hospitalized after the injuries he sustained during the crash.
new jersey, clifton, police officer injured, accident, new jersey news
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos