New Jersey News
5 people, including young girl, shot outside Newark wake
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- Five people, including a young girl, were hurt in a shooting outside a wake in New Jersey Thursday night.
The incident happened shortly after 10 p.m. outside 804 South 16th Street in Newark.
The gunman remains on the loose.
The youngest victim, just 10 years old, was struck as shots rang out while she and her family were attending a vigil for an accident victim killed in a crash Thursday morning.
The memorial ended abruptly when some pulled a gun and the bullets started flying.
The girl was shot in the ankle, and two men and two women also suffered various gunshot wounds. Thankfully, none of the injuries are considered life threatening.
The shooter apparently got out of a dark-colored vehicle, opened fire and then got back in the car and fled the scene. It is believed he was in the group of mourners at one point.
Police have not made any arrests or identified any suspects. Anyone with information is asked to call authorities at 973 733-3981 or 877 NWK-TIPS.
new jersey, shooting, newark, child shot, new jersey news
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations 26 min ago
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament 56 min ago
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago 17 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos