New Jersey News
Police say officer shot man with machete in East Orange
Sunday, May 05, 2013
EAST ORANGE, N.J. (WABC) -- Authorities are investigating a police-involved shooting in East Orange, New Jersey, in which officer fired on a man who approached him with a machete.The shooting occurred at about 9 p.m. Saturday at Central and Sheppard Avenues. Police say an East Orange police sergeant was conducting a motor vehicle stop, when the driver of the pulled-over vehicle approached the officer while waving a machete. According to investigators, the officer ordered the suspect to drop the weapon but the suspect refused to comply and continued to advance on the officer. Fearing for his safety, police say, the officer fired his gun, hitting the suspect. The 28-year old man from Irvington has been hospitalized. The investigation is continuing.
(Copyright ©2013 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
new jersey, shooting, police shooting, east orange, new jersey news
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos