New Jersey News
Police say officer shot man with machete in East Orange
Sunday, May 05, 2013
EAST ORANGE, N.J. (WABC) -- Authorities are investigating a police-involved shooting in East Orange, New Jersey, in which officer fired on a man who approached him with a machete.The shooting occurred at about 9 p.m. Saturday at Central and Sheppard Avenues. Police say an East Orange police sergeant was conducting a motor vehicle stop, when the driver of the pulled-over vehicle approached the officer while waving a machete. According to investigators, the officer ordered the suspect to drop the weapon but the suspect refused to comply and continued to advance on the officer. Fearing for his safety, police say, the officer fired his gun, hitting the suspect. The 28-year old man from Irvington has been hospitalized. The investigation is continuing.
(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
new jersey, shooting, police shooting, east orange, new jersey news
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 29 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 16 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly...
32 min ago
Eyewitness News Links