New Jersey News
Hoboken, New York area brace for more flooding
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- With more rain expected Thursday, people across the Tri-State are hoping it is not a repeat of Wednesday, when heavy flooding caused a hectic morning commute for motorists.
Hoboken and parts of Brooklyn and the Bronx were hit especially hard, with cars submerged and ruined and water lapping up to the doorsteps of some schools.
The flood waters rose rapidly on Route 1 & 9, where drivers tried to make their way through unaware that the water would come over the front of the car.
The roadway was shut down in one direction as the water slowly receded. Several people had to be rescued from their vehicles, while others made daring escapes as the murky water was rushing in.
Flooding also trapped several vehicles at the Jersey City-Hoboken border, right underneath the New Jersey Transit railroad bridge.
Those living in the area have been forced to park on the street because Superstorm Sandy destroyed the garage on the lower level of their building.
Conditions were not expected to be as bad Thursday, but no one anticipated the amount of water that arose Wednesday, either.
That is keeping residents on edge as potentially heavy storms move through.
new jersey, flooding, hoboken, jersey city, new jersey news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 21 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court 45 min ago
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
7 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
21 min ago