New Jersey News
Arrests in revenge plot to get back stolen cell phones
TEANECK, N.J. (WABC) -- A teenager allegedly stole several cell phones and then was trying to sell them.
One of the cell phone's owners came up with convoluted scheme to get the phones back and to extract revenge.
But, two wrongs don't make a right and now everyone's in trouble.
Bail set is at about $1.5 million dollars each.
It's big money for the suspects now behind bars.
Five adults have been arrested and one teenager.
This is the brother of one of the men in custody says his brother didn't do it.
"I'm 100% positive my brother is innocent," said Omar Aly, the suspect's brother.
But Teaneck Police allege that his brother Muhammed Aly is one of the ring leaders of a plot set in motion during a basketball tournament in Parsippany.
During last weekend's tournament, a group of people noticed that their cell phones had been stolen.
One of them would later discover that someone was trying to resell the phones on Craigslist.
That's when the suspects decided to find out who it was by posing as interested buyers.
Police say Aly talked the 16-year-old into a car, driving him to another section of the Marriot's parking lot to meet up with the rest of the suspects.
Police say suspect Khalil Adem was posing as a cop as the 16-year-old was pulled from the vehicle and five cell phones were taken from him, including his own.
A quick-thinking security guard at the hotel notified police when he spotted the suspects in the parking lot and kept tabs on them as they drove away with the 16-year-old in their vehicle.
Omar Aly says his brother and the other suspects are caught up in one big misunderstanding, but the group remains behind bars and facing serious jail time if convicted.
new jersey, teaneck, cell phone, new jersey news, jeff pegues
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43 45 min ago
- Granderson hits sac fly to lift Mets over Braves in 14
- Anna, Beltran key Yankees' 5-1, 12-inning win
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos