New Jersey News
Second worker charged with abuse at day care
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- There is some disturbing new information about child abuse allegations at a day care center in Jersey City.
Thursday night another worker is arrested.
29-year-old Young Cha walked timidly into court Friday and stood quietly as a judge explained the charges against her.
"Specifically on one occasion, slapping a 17 month old in the face," the judge said.
She looked afraid and she is according to her brother.
"She's like, terrified, breaking down all the time now. I don't like seeing my sister that way," said Jayven Cha, the suspect's brother.
He spoke to Eyewitness News at their house about the accusation.
Cha is the second teacher's aide at the Sunnyside Academy Daycare Center now accused of harming a child.
"They say surveillance video captured her slapping a 17 month old. She told me it was like a slap on the wrist," Jayven Cha said.
He insists the case is somehow, blown out of proportion, but not to parents of children who've gone to the center.
It's because it was only last month when investigators charged 26-year-old Ann Bactawar after they say surveillance video showed her flinging a 19-month-old onto the floor and abusing a 17-month-old.
Investigators say those children were bleeding and bruised.
Claudia Samson told Eyewitness News her son Liam always loved going there, but now she's wondering about the bloody lip he came home with back in February.
"As a mom, the only thing I can do right now is keep my kid with me," Samson said.
Inside the center, the lights were out as parents scrambled for someplace else to bring their kids.
new jersey, child abuse, child endangerment, jersey city, new jersey news, stacey sager
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 50 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 21 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane 23 min ago
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice 54 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
21 min ago