New Jersey News
EXCLUSIVE: Stray bullet victim talks to Eyewitness News
JERSEY CITY, N.J. (WABC) -- Anne McGrath is still shaking Monday. She was standing outside a tavern in Jersey City when she heard gunshots, felt a thump in her chest, and warm blood rolling down her left arm.
"It was in and out of my arm, nothing penetrated," said McGrath.
Surveillance cameras captured the frightening scene across the street as bullets sent bystanders running for cover.
The incident happened at 6:30 Saturday evening. The tavern was hosting a campaign event for councilman Gerald Meyers. The mayor of Jersey City was also inside.
Police say the shooting was over a drug deal. Rahmed Jones, 24, who was arrested, told officers he was selling 40 Ecstasy pills to two men when they tried to run away without paying.
"No matter what efforts, there are too many criminals," said Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy.
Investigators say that a bullet discovered outside the tavern by Eyewitness News reporter Anthony Johnson and his photographers may be one of the bullets that struck McGrath.
new jersey, jersey city, shooting, new jersey news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach 39 min ago
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 58 min ago
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil Robertson's hiatus
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
25 min ago