New Jersey News
EXCLUSIVE: Stray bullet victim talks to Eyewitness News
JERSEY CITY, N.J. (WABC) -- Anne McGrath is still shaking Monday. She was standing outside a tavern in Jersey City when she heard gunshots, felt a thump in her chest, and warm blood rolling down her left arm.
"It was in and out of my arm, nothing penetrated," said McGrath.
Surveillance cameras captured the frightening scene across the street as bullets sent bystanders running for cover.
The incident happened at 6:30 Saturday evening. The tavern was hosting a campaign event for councilman Gerald Meyers. The mayor of Jersey City was also inside.
Police say the shooting was over a drug deal. Rahmed Jones, 24, who was arrested, told officers he was selling 40 Ecstasy pills to two men when they tried to run away without paying.
"No matter what efforts, there are too many criminals," said Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy.
Investigators say that a bullet discovered outside the tavern by Eyewitness News reporter Anthony Johnson and his photographers may be one of the bullets that struck McGrath.
new jersey, jersey city, shooting, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster 3 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
3 min ago